Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Old College Try...

Yep, that's just what I'm going to do...give it "the old college try" - creating and maintaining a blog, that is! (Bear with me - I'm going with the "teaching theme" here!) :-)

I have to confess, I've been a blog "lurker" for quite some time now...I really enjoy reading what's going on in the lives of others; how they are living and learning and laughing and loving. I've also found myself wishing that I was more of a "journal-er", if that is a word. For example, I wish I had recorded my thoughts, hopes, and dreams were as I went through school and as I prepared for marriage and for motherhood - wouldn't it be fun to go back and read those? I wish I would have kept track more of all of those little baby milestones (How much did Lukas weigh when he was 4 months old? My friend tells me it was 18 pounds - yikes!). I wish I had better travel diaries (What was the name of that favorite chocolate I loved so much in the Czech Republic?). Oh, I have vague recollections...but I'm feeling more and more like my recall function is, well, malfunctioning!

So, here I am, sitting at my computer, venturing out into my first-ever online journal! Jason and I decided to name the blog Teachable Moments. First, because we are both teachers - he is a high school English teacher and I am a homeschool teacher to our three kiddos: Madelynne, Chloe, and Lukas. Second, we like the name because we are always surrounded by "moments" where we can make the choice to TEACH our kids something, positive OR negative. And, third, because God desires us to use every opportunity to teach our children about Him - His commands, His love, His might, His grace, His mercy - every good and wonderful thing that HE is! And, wow, we are always learning from Him and looking to Him for wisdom in how to do that...

I hope that this will be a fun place for friends and family to catch a "glimpse" into our sometimes crazy, sometimes mundane life - that we can share what is on our hearts and our minds and that you would be reminded to pray for us and let us know how we can be praying for you.

Let us know if you "stop by" - we'd love to hear from you!

12 comments:

Kristi said...

YOU DID IT!! :-) YEA!

I am so excited that you are giving blogging an "old college try," my friend!!

I SO look forward to reading your thoughts - you have wisdom to share and a great way/style of writing!! GREAT start, my dear! And, I love the name as well!

Can I tell you that I am thrilled that you are doing this???

:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love the phrase "teachable moments".... especially since it occurs more in my life than my students. One instance is when I received my class list this semester for my yoga class. Most of the names were kids that I've seen around school, and those were the kids I've constantly badgered over the years to tuck in their shirts, spit out their gum, and shave their faces. However, with this not so positive expectation of how much I would hate this class, my first day with them was fabulous. They were highly receptive to the class, but more importantly, respectful to each other. Guess you could say they taught me a little about how my expectations can be just plain wrong. How great is that!
Lori, you are an amazing lady and a superlative mother. I wax poetic about you and Jason whenever the subject of parenting rears its (shaven? head. The old college try seems to have worked so far.
Love you all dearly.

Anonymous said...

I stopped by - thanks for letting us know. We will keep cheking up on what's going on in the lives of the Heydts!

Mom said...

How fun to see your blog (and the comments too from far and near)...I'm happy to have one more way to keep up to speed on what my adorable grandchildren are doing (and children too).

I've been wanting to get a blog going for a work project so this is good motivation to act on that desire.

Anonymous said...

Great start, Lori! I believe the name of the chocolate is "Studentská pečeť" :-) Yeah, we had a great time with you in the Czech republic. I also love the tasty moments with that chocolate. :-)

Anonymous said...

hi lori,
how cool. glad you are taking the time to do this. a great way to keep in touch.sorry i didnt get back to you earlier.
been busy quilting at the bible camp and getting ready to bring our baby home. paul will be back in honolulu feb7 and we are going out there the 4th and coming home together on the 14th. think i'm excited. holly's doing great. she loved your christmas picture.
take care.karen
ps. i love all the scripture too!!!!

karen said...

lori,
glad you are taking the time to do this.a great way to keep in touch!!
been busy with quilting at the bible camp. we are going to meet paul in honolulu when he gets back on feb7. he has graduation on the 9th and we fly back togeter on the 14th. think i'm excited. havent seen him in 6 months.
holly was home for christmas and love your pic. she's doing great teaching 5th grade in phoenix.
also loved your scripture on the blog.take care.
be blessed, love karen

karen said...

sorry, i sent 2 and now you have 3!!!!
karen

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that you started a blog! Now Madelynne can blog too!! :-)

Jaci said...

Hey Lori!

I wish everyone I knew in GF would do this!:-) Thanks for sharing...we'll be checking in. You have a beautiful family! Miss seeing you "y'all"!

Heather said...

Lori,
I found your blog from Kristi's! This has been fun for me to "catch up" with what's going with them and I look forward to being able to do the same with your family. Especially on the homeschooling front as we are thinking of homeschooling as well. I will keep checking back!

Anonymous said...

What a fun way to keep in touch with what you guys are keeping busy with...and you are always busy!
The name is so perfect, you both are such wonderful teachers and Madelynne, Chloe and Lukas are the most intelligent kids (grandkids) I know!
Love all you guys,
Mom and Dad Heydt