Thursday, January 31, 2008

Today Was a Strange Day...

Today was a strange day. My little boy was up all night very ill with the stomach flu and needed the day to recuperate. My friend offered to take the girls for the day, so there I was - at home - just me and Lukas.

Today was strange because...we began the day with Lukas puking and Chloe sobbing - she was so upset her little brother was not feeling well!

Today was strange because...we ended the day tucking in a deliriously laughing little boy (he really did seem quite delirious; it was very strange!) - he's obviously feeling MUCH better!

Today was strange because...Lukas spent the majority of the day either on the couch watching TV or sleeping in his bed. This is the same boy who was driving me CRAZY yesterday as he blew through the house like a tornado, leaving a path of destruction behind him. He's not a "napper" - he's not even a "rester"!

Today was strange because...Lukas never once said "I'm hungry" (a TRUE sign he didn't feel well - poor guy!). That usually happens OFTEN, mainly because he's a growing boy and he gets hungry a lot! He also THINKS he's hungry anytime he sees me grabbing a snack or "sneaking" a sip of Diet Coke!

Today was strange because...I didn't teach anyone! Most every day I'm involved in at least SOME part of the girls' school day...

Today was strange because...I missed seeing the girls at gymnastics. I'm usually there to watch them every week - and today Madelynne's teacher suggested that we look into moving her to a bit more challenging class.

Today was strange because...the house was SO quiet, but I wasn't here by myself.

I needed this time of rest and quiet today (I had about 3 hours of cumulative sleep last night!), and so I'm very thankful for it!!! But I guess I was just thinking...I love having a break from my kids at times - they are constantly "on the go". And, I do get that once a week, thanks to the help of my best friend - it is truly a blessing! But sometimes, on strange days like today, when our usually busy and noisy house is quiet and still, I miss my kids! The girls were gone all day and, although Lukas was here, he definitely was not "himself".

I've chosen my role in life because it's where I truly want to be (even on the days when I don't want to be there, if that makes sense!). I like being involved in what my kids are doing, what they are learning, and where they are headed. I like spending time with them - even when they are driving me crazy! Some may say I'm a "glutton for punishment"...but I know the day will come soon enough when I won't have this time to spend with my kids...they grow up so fast!!! I want to cherish each moment I have with them now.

Thank you, Lord, for growing and stretching and challenging me. May I never overlook the blessings of this role in which You have placed me!

Deuteronomy 30:19-20
"This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life..."

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Well said, my friend!! Thanks for sharing...yes, our kids ARE growing up fast, aren't they?

I can see why you want to be around these kiddos...you have some great, special kids!!! :-)

I am so glad that little Lukas is feeling better...we have been praying for him today!!

Heather said...

I totally understand. Sometimes I just want to get away...only to hurry right back! There is no place I'd rather be!!