Tuesday, July 29, 2008

it's a small world...

It's a big, big world - there are over 6 BILLION people in the world - yet sometimes it amazes me just how "small" the world can be!

For example, while we were visiting with Jason's cousin and his family, they recounted the following story:

They were at a family camp a few weekends ago - one they had never been to before and knew no one else who would be attending there. When they arrived, they met a family from the same town we live in. It's true, we don't live in a HUGE city, but it's not the smallest town, either. So they asked the couple if they happened to know us. Why, yes...they did. In fact, they just happened to be the very same couple from whom we bought our house! Isn't that crazy? I think it would be odd to be able to say to someone I'd never met before that I had actually slept in the basement of the very home they used to own. Keep in mind, Tim & Helen live in a VERY large city - 300+ miles away from us!

Another "small world" incident occurred last week when we walked across the alley to introduce ourselves to our neighbors (finally!). Only the wife and her youngest daughter were at home, but after visiting with her for awhile, we discovered that I graduated from high school with her husband. I suppose this probably isn't TOO out of the ordinary, as my hometown is only about an hour away, but after living here for almost a year, I had no idea I was neighbors with a former classmate!

It never ceases to amaze me that God holds this world in His sovereign hands. My prayer is to be used by Him, wherever I am at in this world of His!

Acts 17:24-28a
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 'For in him we live and move and have our being.'"

5 comments:

Laura Lu said...

That's funny!!! Looks like a fun time together. :)

Anonymous said...

Lori,
I love small world stories! One happened last Labor Day weekend when we were driving back from moving Josh into the SDSM&T dorms in Rapid City (which is about 550 miles from our home). We usually stop in Mitchell for lunch as that is the half way point of the trip. But we decided to stop earlier in Chamberlain because we were hungry and ready for a break. In the restaurant we were very surprised to discover another couple we used to know from Aaron's school days! They are from Chaska; we belonged to the same babysitting co-op when Aaron was a child and attended the same church back then! They are also empty nesters and were returning from a Yellowstone trip. We had a delightful time sharing lunch with them and catching up with each other's lives. That is not the only time we've met people we know along I-90 while traveling!
At the reunion, remind me to tell you the small world story about our (Jeff's & mine) grandparents and how they once lived in the same house in Brainerd!! (Not at the same time!)
Lindsey

Little Patch of Heaven said...

Yes, truly a small world. Love the blog.

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I stopped at a gas station in Dallas, and while in line I noticed a fellow with a jacket from a truck stop not far from my home town in Minnesota. In fact their basketball team were arch-rivals of ours. I couldn't help myself and asked him if Motley Minnesota was still the home of the mighty Motley Rockets and he about fainted! I quickly explained to him that I was from Pine River and being a good Tiger fan I had to ask! Come to find out he knew my family name because his son played basketball with my younger brother. Twelve hundred miles and 25 years does indeed make for a small world!!!

Linda J.

Kristi said...

It can be a "small world" even in it's "big-ness" can't it??

I still think that this is so neat how they connected! :-)