Tuesday, July 1, 2008

War Paint

We are in a fierce battle...

with these:

It's mosquito season!!!

And the kids are all suffering from their wounds...especially Chloe! Here they are with calamine lotion slathered all over them:

We spent much of the night trying to console Chloe with all of her itching - she reacts SO badly to the mosquito bites. I think I got a total of 3 hours of sleep! She probably got even less, poor thing. She has lots of skin problems (as I alluded to in an earlier post) - in addition to eczema, she also has an odd case of athlete's foot that only seems to crop up during the summer months. So, with itchy, burning toes, inflamed bites covering her face, arms and legs, and just prone-to-itchy skin, it makes for one very uncomfortable little girl!


I have been putting bug spray on the kids, but the mosquitoes in our back yard are horrible! The city has also been spraying (I saw the sprayer go down our street last night), but it just doesn't seem to be helpful yet.

I'm hoping to find SOMETHING to ward off the bugs a little bit better...and something to help soothe the itching, too!

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Yes, these mosquitoes are TERRIBLE, aren't they? What a bummer...just when it is finally so nice out and we all want to be outside! My kids have the bites as well...

BUT...they are nothing like your little Chloe's - poor thing!! :-( We are continuing to pray for her skin...for the itchiness and for how it interrupts her sleep (and then yours and Jason's too)!! My heart goes out to you all...how frustrating and disheartening!!!

Hang in there! And, I am with you...I sure hope that they get these creatures under control here SOON!!!

Jaci said...

So sorry to see and hear that Lori! I just wanted to say that we purchased a Mosquito Magnet for our backyard in ND and it worked great. Our neighbors would say they could tell a difference and the little bag that gathers the victims was always very full. Its an upfront investment...but we had ours for 4 years and no problems. I personally would say it was worth the cost...Just a thought...

What a bummer those little nasty bugs are!!

Anonymous said...

Lori,
I was talking with Sharon this evening and I was telling her about your "bug" problem! She shared that when Mikael was small rubbing aloe (right from the plant) helped with his sensitive reactions to mosquito bites. This summer Anna has used baking soda baths to soothe Jonas' sensitive skin. Also we've used Aveeno oatmeal skin products in the past which proved helpful. Just some thoughts that may help! Both Sharon & I have not had much success with calamine lotion, but I know every one's skin is different.

Hope things get better!
Love,
Aunt Lindsey

Anonymous said...

Lori,
Another thought! Good old Desitin is great for skin although it can be a mess as it's greasy. But at bedtime, it might help...........
Lindsey

Tanya said...

We used to use this "mosquito b gone" spray that you hooked up to a hose and sprayed over the whole yard. It says it should last 3 months, but it in ND it only lasted about a month, but we could tell a huge difference! I can't remember the brand, but it was in a green bottle and I think we got it at Target or Wal-mart in the garden section. I'll ask Keith if he remembers the brand and let you know. Good Luck! Tanya