Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Beginnings

Today is a day of new beginnings...a day that I have been anxiously anticipating and awaiting for many weeks. Today was Madelynne's first day of school.

As you may know, I have homeschooled Madelynne the past two years - for Kindergarten and First Grade. It has been a huge blessing to be at home with my children, to be involved in their daily lives and education and foundational learning about God and our faith in Jesus.

Last year we had the opportunity to walk through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation and we read and wrote about all sorts of Bible stories along the way. We examined scriptures from Proverbs, memorized the order of the books of the Bible, and explored God's amazing creation through science experiments with water, air, plants, and the human body.

I entered into homeschooling with the intent (but not-for-certain plan) of eventually sending Madelynne (and each of my children) to school...yes, to public school! We simply said we were (and still are) taking things one year at a time. My husband is an English teacher at one of the local high schools here and he has been so encouraged by many of the Christian students he has had the privilege of teaching in class or working with through coaching, Student Council, and other activities. Both Jason and I have strong convictions about being a light in the darkness and sharing God's love through our love and care for others. God has not placed us in this world to separate ourselves so much that we are in essence "cut off" - not that this has to happen, but it can!

Matthew 5:13-16 says,
You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

I want my children to learn how to live IN this world, but not be OF it...and that is a tough thing to teach them. I want to protect them from the evils in this world, yet I want them to have opportunities to be a light to those around them. My heart's desire is for my children to have a solid foundation in the love, grace, and salvation that God has given to them through His Son, Jesus, so that they can share that love with others.

I see in Madelynne a sweet, sensitive heart - one who looks for ways to encourage others and I know that God will use her creative and inventive talents. I see in Chloe a tender spirit, a deep love for the Lord, for other nations and peoples, and a love for relational connections. I see in Lukas a strong distinction between right and wrong (although, at age 4, he is often still choosing "wrong"!), a sensitive spirit, and...well, he's LOUD. God can use that, I know! :-)

I pray that the daily training we are doing with our children will one day bring great glory to God.

Proverbs 22:6
Train a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it.

We have made a concerted effort this summer (after living here for a full year now!) to meet our neighbors and to begin to establish relationships with them. And, after MUCH prayer, MUCH discussion, MUCH tears, and MUCH contemplation, we feel that this is a good year for Madelynne to transition into the classroom setting. Second grade is a FUN year...and I know she will enjoy school. The school is just a stone's throw away from our house, it is small and family-oriented and it just happens to be the very same elementary school Jason attended years ago! We are very much looking forward to being involved in the school PTO, in Madelynne's classroom, and in the surrounding community. I want to establish relationships and allow God to use our family as He sees fit.

Of course, we are still very open to homeschooling and are not "shutting the door" on this realm of education in any way. I will be homeschooling Chloe for First Grade this year and I am looking forward to having some time to do Preschool work with Lukas, as well. If the Lord should lead us to have Madelynne back at home, we will do so in a heartbeat! Our main concern is for her welfare, safety, personal and spiritual growth - and we are not entering into this decision lightly. Should we determine this to be a negative experience for Madelynne or for our family, we will make the necessary adjustments. We are not anticipating this will be the case - we are praying and hoping that this will be a wonderful, positive, and encouraging transition for everyone in our family.

Philippians 1:6
...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

We would covet your prayers as we venture on in this new beginning in our lives!

Madelynne at the Open House on Monday night

This morning before leaving for school

Walking to school (just moments after this, Lukas fell and terribly skinned his knee - he was a bloody screaming mess!)

Madelynne at her desk

Colossians 3:23-24
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was sooooo fun to hear Madelynne's voice when she called tonight to tell me about her first day at Viking School...she sounded very excited and happy. I pray that this will be a good year for all of you and the Madelynne.

I LOVE the new haircuts on the girls...they are adorable!
Love,
Grandma Maxine

Jaci said...

So sweet! Thanks for sharing our journey...it looks like she had a great first day!:)

Heather said...

So glad to hear the first day went well! I can't imagine how hard it must have been!

Kristi said...

Ahhhh...what a journey this has been, my dear friend. Thanks for sharing your heart here...

And, thanks for being such a SUPPORT and blessing to me through all of this! I appreciate you and your friendship SOOOOOOO very much!

Cute pictures of the first day! How fun it was to hear all about Madelynne's first day!!

Continuing to pray for you as your family makes this transition. Love you!

Tanya said...

What cute pictures! And I love that there is a giant Viking at Madelynne's school! We don't see any of those around here! :) I'll be praying this year goes well! It's so hard to let them go. I had trouble letting Andrew go to Kid's Day Out one day a week, so I feel your pain! Hang in there! And I support your public school decision. I'm sure it wasn't an easy one to make!

Staci said...

Love the pictures of the first day!! I am so glad she had a fun first day.

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures, reminded me of the days when Jason and Jen attended Viking.
Madelynne looked so grown up and happy to be starting a new adventure.
When talking to her on the phone she spoke right up about all her school adventures, friends, such a confident young lady.
Good Job to you and Jason!
Love Grandma Vicki

Jolanthe said...

How is the transition going? :)

Jolanthe