Today was our first day of homeschool! I gave myself a week to adjust to Madelynne being gone each day - and though I can't say I've fully adjusted, at least I felt a bit more emotionally and mentally prepared to start school today with Chloe and Lukas.
Chloe is in First grade this year and Lukas is excited to be starting some Preschool work! Here are my two homeschool kiddos (though they are two years apart I am sometimes asked if they are twins!):
Lukas is working hard here on decorating a name tag for his "school box" (the white basket you see in the background).
Chloe also began the Alpha workbook of Math-U-See and then we worked on some shapes and problem solving with Playful Patterns (from Discovery Toys).
Lukas played with some magnetic alphabet letters and together we found all of the letters in his name - with the exception of the letter "S", as we couldn't find ANY of those - so we just improvised and made our own "S"! Looks like I need to acquire some new alphabet letters...
We joined our buddies, Kristi, Kylie, and Caleb, at the park for a picnic lunch and some fun playing time - it ended up being a beautiful, sunny afternoon.
I asked Lukas tonight what his favorite part of school was and he replied, "When we came home to eat supper...because I was wee-ee [really], wee-ee [really] hungry!" Umm, how about what was your favorite part in the school room??? "Making our name tags and doing centers."
Chloe said she liked everything...but she doesn't really feel like she is in First Grade. "What grade do you feel like you are in?" I asked her. "Second!" Wishful thinking...
This school year is bound to be one of change and growth - and I'm praying God will use it for good. Although I cried each day I left Madelynne at school last week, the lump that has been in my throat and the butterflies in my stomach are subsiding with each day. My eyes just welled up with tears as I spoke with the teacher last Friday about her first week at school; I've cried buckets as I can hear the children playing on the playground during recess from our own backyard, as I grab three plates for the kids' lunch, but now I only need two, as I worry about the friends Madelynne is choosing and how she will be accepted by her peers as a new student - these are just a few of the things that have weighed so heavily on my heart and mind! I know with all of my heart that Madelynne is absolutely loving the transition (we have talked extensively each day about everything from the proverbial "A" to "Z"), we are working at getting to know her teacher and her classmates and their families...these things all take time. I am on one hand relieved to have a bit more of myself to "give" to Chloe and to Lukas - he is an especially complicated, challenging, intricately-made little boy who keeps me praying for wisdom, patience, and grace, and more wisdom each day! Yet on the other hand, I can wrestle with good ol' motherhood guilt, because I miss Madelynne so much and it's been so hard to let go in this way... I know and trust that the Lord, in His sovereignty, will see us through, and I am thankful for that. We are thankful for friends and family who have surrounded us with prayer and support and encouragement - what a blessing!


6 comments:
Let the school days BEGIN!!! :-) Cute pictures of the kids doing their STUFF!
Thanks for sharing your heart...and for being such a wonderful friend to ME through this all! I appreciate you much!
Love ya!
Ok...this is getting really bad. They're not even my kids and I drove by at recess time today and was looking for them to check up on them. :) I remember hearing recess (we used to live in your house, remember?) and feel weird too. Then, Mr. Olson would come out from next door and say, "Aren't you kids s'posed to be in school?" Enjoy these nice days and read in that beautiful backyard...we have great memories of doing that. You're a wonderful mom and we have been praying for you!
K.
Thanks for Sharing Lori!! I too can relate. It is hard to let go and each day does get alittle easier, but I am always wondering what my little guy is doing and if he is having a good day and all that good stuff.
You guys looked like you had a super fun first day of school. The kids looked so cute sitting there doing their work and with their backpacks on. How fun.
Cute, cute pictures! I am glad that you had a good first day and that Madelynne is enjoying school. I had been praying when Madelynne was to start school. I am sure that it is strange to not have her there for the first time. I hope you all have a great year...transitions have a way of stretching, growing and shaping and then re-shaping us. Just keep on seeking after the Lord...He will make straight your path!! I know that you know this! Thanks for sharing...I miss seeing you all. It would be fun to host a stamping party here at the Swiss Tower. Wanna take a road trip?:)
Dear Lori,
I can completely identify. My almost 6 year old started kindergarten this week. Monday and Tuesday I walked her in. Wednesday, she BEGGED me to not come in, but I did wait with her outside until they unlocked the doors {with about 7000 other parents!!!} Thursday we hadn't even left the house and she said to me "Mommy; I'm a big girl...I go to big girl school now...can I PLEASE go inside by my self???" So I pulled up in the car pool lane, opened the car door and had to tell her to come back and give me a kiss because she was already running up the side walk! That was the first time all week that I cried. Part of me is so proud that she is so self assured and not one bit afraid. Everything is one big adventure. The other part is mourning the loss of my "baby". But she does still call me "Mommy"...for now!
Linda J.
Lori!
Great to read whats going on! I should be in bed but...
We really enjoyed Scardy Cat reading.
Does your guys school room always look so clean and picked up!!!
Ok,i need to post some real pictures on my site so you guys can see choas in full swing :)!
Remembering who we serve, a huge God that loves us and wants the best for our kids even more than we do...one of my favorite life verse ..He who began a good work in my life will complete it...the pressure is off!
shawn
Post a Comment