Sunday, August 31, 2008

If a tree falls in the forest backyard...

and no one is around...does it make a sound?

Well, the other night, a HUGE branch fell in our backyard - I just happened to be downstairs in our office (which has a window facing the back yard) when I heard some a bit of rustling outside. I thought maybe a cat was chasing something around in the yard - we have had the occasional rogue cat make an appearance in our yard!

When I went outside to see what was going on, this is what I awaited me!


OK...so perhaps you can't really tell what that is. It was late at night and my little camera doesn't take the greatest pictures in the dark. I'll try adding some fill light. How about this?


I'm not sure if you can tell, but this branch stretches from the tree in the foreground (which is right off of the deck on the back of our house) to the tree in the background - the tree is actually fell from (which is back near our garden) - a distance of maybe 20 feet or more? I don't know...I'm not very good at judging distances.

Regardless, Jason got out the saw and started sawing away at 10:00 PM - we knew the kids would want to play in the back yard the next day and they would not be able to with this huge monstrosity in the way!

Although the late night lumber camp was a bit of an inconvenience, we were SO thankful the branch didn't fall during the day!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Yeah...that was QUITE the BIG branch, wasn't it? I too am surprised that you guys didn't hear it fall.

I too am SO glad that no one was out there playing when it happened! How crazy!!! :-)