Friday, March 28, 2008

March 28, 1946



Today is my dad's birthday. He would be 62 years old. Sadly, and very unexpectedly, he suffered a massive heart attack and left us much too early ten 1/2 years ago (September 10, 1997). I remember him as a man of many facets, talents, and gifts. He was often called a "jack-of-all trades". He was a man of faith and conviction and I know he is in his eternal home with the Lord, praising his Heavenly Father.

This weekend, while at my mom's, I was able to spend much time going through boxes of pictures and memorabilia...and I wanted to share a few things from my dad's life.

Here are a few school pictures...



Notice how his hairstyle never changed? :-)

My dad served in Viet Nam from November 28, 1966 to December 18, 1967. He was 19 years old. This wasn't something he spoke about often (although I did interview him about it once for a college class), but I know it was a huge part of his life.



He entered the Army to get training in electronics and he did eventually become a licensed electrician. He was assured even after the time he enlisted (1964 or 1965 - I'm not exactly sure) that those involved in electronics would not be going to Viet Nam. But because my dad was an NCO, he was needed to go overseas. He was to be part of the Ninth Division. He served on the ground and was awarded two Purple Hearts. He also volunteered to fly as a chopper gunner and received commendations for those actions. I looked through a few boxes filled with military papers, regalia, photos, and mementos from that time...

The flag in this box flew above his personnel carrier - and you might notice the heart with "Maxine" (my mom) inscribed on his camouflaged helmet cover.



I discovered several handmade "charts" he had created to keep track of all letters both written and received while in basic training (Fort Sill, OK) and while serving overseas. If you can see at the top of one paper it says "Norman's Letters From Home" - each paper neatly adhered to a piece of card stock and bordered with masking tape.

















These are literally just a few snapshots from my dad's 51 years of life.

I tend to be a "thrower" rather than a "saver" but I am so very grateful that my dad, in all of his thrifty ways, saved just about EVERYTHING...down to an actual Army-issue tube of Chapstick! It was both heartwarming and heart wrenching, informative and intriguing, overwhelming yet ordinary to sift through relics from this particular part of what made my dad who he was.

He was my hero.

He was my dad.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an Awesome tribute to an equally awesome man, I did not know your dad that well but what i do remember is a bright exhuberant caring man who loved his family very much. Happy Birthday Oscar!

Kristi said...

Oh, my friend...I have tears in my eyes after reading this post... Oh, how I would have loved to have met your hero, your dad.

I KNOW the emotions, grief and loss that you have felt and continue to feel at times over not having your dad around any more. And, that hurts my heart more than I can even say...

Thanks for sharing these pictures and details from your dad's life. It was special for me to be able to see them!

Love you!

Heather said...

What wonderful pictures and beautiful memories! I think fathers always have such a special place in the hearts of their daughters!

Jaci said...

What a tribute Lori! What a blessing that you have such memories to treasure. I am sorry for the pain you must have in missing your dad.

Anonymous said...

Your dad was a wonderful, Christian man, he never had a bad thing to say about anyone! We were blessed to have spent time with him.
It brought tears to my eyes and brought back the memory of losing my dad at a young age, I still miss him.
You are a great daughter, I know he IS proud of you!

Anonymous said...

You might not remember me, but your parents have known me from the time I was born.

I have wonderful memories of your Dad; and I know he is so, so proud of you and Nathan & Missy and all you have accomplished.

You guys are a living testament that family standards and good christian upbringing is still possible today. And the best part is, your passing it on to your own kids!

Happy Birthday Oscar!

Linda {Tappe} J.

Bob Norman said...

Dear Neice Lori & Family:

Thanks for your tribute to your Dad, my brother!!Your efforts have helped with the 'healing..'

I can still recall the special excitement that us older siblings felt in knowing that a baby was on the way.
Since he was born on Uncle John's birthday he carried his middle name and was the 4th son in our family,he just had to be named after our Dad. We called him Junior. I was only 10 when he was born, and I still remember the many kerosene lamp lit evenings where I rocked him to sleep in the old rocking chair while we waited for the others to finish the dairy chores.
Our father died of a stroke suddenly on March 1, 1955. Our faith in God gave us the strength to pull together. The older siblings came to see and know Oscar as more than our little brother.

Lori: I have written many pages recounting memories from the farm days, camping, fishing,his school days and departure for the U.S. Army Basic training at the Perham AmTrack station. We were all so thankful for his safe return from 'Nam'.
I often think back to the afternoons and evenings that we spent with us in Sebeka while he completed his Electronics training at Wadena Technical College. Then there was the big event where we all witnessed the wedding ceremony of Oscar and Maxine at the Pine River Lutheran Church. And later on...The arrival of Nathan, Lori, and Missy which were very big events in his life.
As a Master Electrician, he traveled a lot. His mechanical, carpentry and problem solving skills always amazed me.
He volunteered for Bible camp projects, home building/ remodeling,and many electrical pjects for so many were just a small testimony to his generosity. Many times I shared with him that with his knowledge he could easily have qualified as an engineer.

We shared many work-helping times together, however there are so many other special Brother moments...

Little did we know in July,1997 that when we visited brother Oscar at his work place for the City of Moorhead and the 'Frying Pan' that it would our last here on earth....

My only wish is that more people could have known my brother as a brother.
He epitomized ,in my opinion, the Christian mission: '..to go and serve others in the name of Christ.'

With tears of joy....
Uncle Bob & Aunt Margaret

Lori said...

Thank you, everyone for your kind remarks and for those of you who shared memories of my dad. I appreciate that more than I can express!

Linda ~ Yes, I remember you...as you lived across the road from my cousins Brian, Tammy, and Chaz...although I didn't know you well, I do recall that you were always warm and friendly, seeming to have a vibrant zest for life, and a smile or a laugh to share! :-)

Uncle Bob (& Aunt Margaret) ~ Your comments brought tears to my eyes. They meant a lot to me. I would very much love to read your memoirs some day...maybe you could start a blog??? ;-)

Thank you again, EVERYONE!

Tonya said...

I love this sweet tribute to your Father. My husband's Father passed away very young from a heart attack too. Jason was 14 when he lost his Dad and when he talks about him...it is so tender. I am sure your Father is so proud of you as his daughter and a Mother. Happiness in lIfe is all about the people we are blessed to know and love...family is the best.

Nathan said...

A little late to the comments ...

My Dad was an engineer. He may not have had a piece of paper that said he was, but to watch him confront a need, design a solution, and then implement it was to understand that this man was no mere technician.

I am so thankful to my Dad for instilling in me the desire and sense of accomplishment in building things, something I still do today.

Thanks Dad.

Thanks also to family and friends who have posted here with kind words.