Monday, March 17, 2008

Meeting Mr. Demme

The kids finally got to meet their Math teacher last week. Yep, now you know the truth...I do not qualify as their "real" math teacher! That's because they think of their "real" math teacher as Mr. Steve Demme, author of Math*U*See curriculum. We started using this manipulative-based curriculum mid-year and we ABSOLUTELY love it (up until that point we had been using Abeka math - and we are continuing to use that in addition to Math*U*See). The program is so concrete and teaches students the foundations of WHY they are doing the math they are doing and how to apply it to real life (something I don't think I ever truly grasped in my own math education!). Along with each lesson the children view a DVD session taught by Mr. Demme himself.

Mr. Demme was in town for our state homeschool convention and was presenting a talk for dads at our church, so we decided to have our own little "meet and greet". The kids drew pictures and cards for him and enjoyed chatting with him. He is such a nice guy!

Here they are introducing themselves to him. (I just love the look on Kylie's face!)

Mr. Demme very graciously read through all of the cards and acknowledged each child's work - he commented on all of the detailed drawings and how thin they drew him!

He even drew a map to show the kids where he lives.

What a fun teacher - no wonder they love him!

You can see Mr. Demme teaching some really cool math concepts by clicking here.

5 comments:

Jaci said...

How fun! Thanks to Kristi's recommendation it is the math we will be seeing too. In fact, I am just going to look over everything this morning.

The girls sure looked ecstatic! What a fun memory for them. The boys faces in the last picture cracked me up:)

Kristi said...

Yes...Mr Demme was such a wonderful man to meet...and the kids did have so much fun!!! :-) What fun memories they will have of getting to meet their "math teacher"!!

I too am so thankful that we started the kids math learning days with something so concrete and visual like this...I have loved it - and you know how MUCH I LOVE math (lots and lots)!!! :-)

Heather said...

I am so glad you guys are homeschooling. When the time comes for Isaac to start, you all will be such great resources for me!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I bet they will LOVE doing math now! What a special time for all of them, they will probably always remember this time.

Staci said...

How fun for the kids. . . the girls looked like they were having SO much fun. . .and the boys made me laugh in the last picture!! What a great memory for them to have.