Wednesday, April 9, 2008

there's no place like home...

While it was SO good to getaway...I did miss seeing (and hearing) these little feet!

Kristi and I had a wonderful time scrap booking - we spent the weekend at a retreat in a relaxing wooded setting.

Thursday was GORGEOUS...we did some shopping, went out to eat, enjoyed a warm, sunny "no coat" day, and meandered our way over to my mom's house where we stayed while attending the retreat.

Friday we did some scrap booking, enjoyed the delicious meals at the camp, and went for a long walk outside.

Saturday I learned that my grandmother (who has Alzheimer's and is living in a nursing home) had taken a fall and needed hip surgery. My mom drove the 70 miles to be with her (she made it through the surgery fine and is now recovering). Kristi and I scrap booked some more and wondered what would become of the "winter weather warnings" we were hearing about.

Saturday night, as we continued to work on our pages, we noticed it was snowing quite a bit. When we finally headed out (to drive back to my mom's house about 3 minutes from the camp) we wondered why everyone was asking us if we were really going to go out in this weather. Once we got outside, we realized it had snowed MUCH more than we thought, as the car was COVERED with what seemed like a foot of snow! It was coming down so heavy...it took us quite some time to get the car cleaned off (we were totally unprepared, as well - no mittens, no boots, no "scraper", either!). We crept along the gravel road leading out of the camp - we could hardly see the road because of the snow falling! It probably took us 10-15 minutes to get back to my mom's house - and we almost got stuck in her driveway!

The next morning, we headed back to camp to scrap some more (hey, we were on a mission!)...but wondered again what the day and the weather would bring. It was so overcast...and there was A LOT of snow on the ground, but it wasn't snowing at that time, and the plan was to take it slow and make our way back home that afternoon. Shortly after we arrived at the camp it began to snow like CRAZY. We could hardly see across the little lake! We figured now we were probably "stuck" and called our husbands at home to make arrangements. Thank you, guys, for being so flexible - and thank you Pat, for watching ALL of the kids on Monday - both Jason and I appreciated your kindness to us in that way so much!

Here was the view from my mom's. We could NOT believe we were getting THIS kind of weather in April...after enjoying a few BEAUTIFUL, sunny 50-some degree days! My mom measured 18 inches of snow on her deck. Other towns close by recorded up to 2 feet of snow! So, we settled in for another night. The next morning, we headed out (I had a lovely migraine headache by this time, so Kristi graciously offered to drive!)...the roads were extremely snowy and slushy and we were only able to drive about 40-50 mph for much of the way. Still, we were glad to be driving in sunlight and clear weather - we heard reports of others who had left the retreat in the snow and it took them 1 1/2 hours to drive 35 miles! And we were SO glad to arrive back home to DRY, SUNNY, and much more "spring-like" weather!

Despite the crazy weather, it was so nice to have no "agenda" for a few days. Yes, we had goals to get some pictures scrap booked (and we did - Kristi even won a prize for one of her page layouts - sorry, Kristi - I just have to "brag" for you, because I know you won't do it!)... :-)

It was relaxing not to think about laundry or dishes or discipline...I needed that. It was neat to look through pictures from the past year and contemplate where and how the Lord has led us. And, as always, it was fun to hang out with my best bud and "partner in crime"! :-)

It was good to come back feeling a bit refreshed in those ways!

Yes - we are jumping in to a new week of school (shifted around a bit with a half "snow day" from Monday morning)...I'm fighting off the "remainders" of a migraine headache...the kids have the same disciplinary issues they had when I left last week...

But, I can still say, "There's no place like home..." I missed you, Jason, Madelynne, Chloe, and Lukas - and I love you so much! Thanks for letting me "get away" for a bit!

5 comments:

Kristi said...

It WAS such a great weekend away...thanks so much for the fun, my dear friend!!! It was refreshing, fun, and yes, productive - it was so nice to get some scrapbooking done!

It was good to "gew away," but there IS "no place like home"...and once we got home, it truly was just jumping RIGHT back in from where we left off, huh??? :-)

Love ya!

Heather said...

Your kids have discipline issues? Glad to hear that I'm not the only one.

Anonymous said...

Lori,
Good to hear from you! Thanks for sharing your blog. Yeah, and your kids look like YOU too!! So cute. I think you should do the girls' hair in long ringlets for old time's sake! :) I bet it would be hard to tell your girls from pictures of you and Missy! The weather really has been crazy, but fortunately Jamestown has been missed. (knock on wood) My kiddos are ready for spring to be here "for good"! I'd love to hear how you started homeschooling. Do you plan to continue all the way through? Talk to you later! Annetta

Staci said...

So sorry you got a migraine on your fun weekend. Those nasty migraines seem to come when you really really don't need them. I can SO relate. I am glad you guys got to get away it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun and some crazy weather. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lori,

So sorry to hear about your Grandnma. Living right up the hill from your Uncles Tom, Mike, Jeff, Pete, and Greg, your family is nearly like my own. I write back and forth with your Mom quite often and wondered why I hadn't heard from her lately and now I know why.

Your Grandma & grandpa & Mom are all in my prayers. I'll let my Mom know too if you don't mind. She's on the Ladies circle at good old Maple Hill Luthern and there's nothing they like more than lifting up a neighbor in prayer!

BTW...read your reply that you DO remember me! Made me smile :>}

Love & Prayers,
Linda