Saturday, February 9, 2008

Confession is good for the soul...

I confess that after blogging about all three of our kids being sick over the last week and a half, I just didn't quite have it in me to mention that Jason was sick, too.

Late Tuesday evening, he came home after a LONG day with a horrible head cold. By Wednesday afternoon, he had aches and chills and I sent him home that evening from church (he usually comes from school to meet us there for the supper that is served before Wednesday night activities). He went straight to bed and I didn't see or hear from him again (other than, of course, asking him how he felt before I went to bed that night) until 6:30 the next morning.

I confess, I was mad. I was mad that my husband had gotten sick, just as all of the kids FINALLY seemed to be feeling better. I was mad now there was someone else I had to take care of. I was mad that I didn't have help with the kids that night. I was mad because I wanted to be mad! I was sick of "the sickness" and my attitude was less than Godly!

I confess, I was being selfish. I think my feelings were valid enough, in the sense that, of course, I wanted my family to be healthy...and I was weary from the role of "care-taker". But I had allowed those initial feelings and emotions to sprout some roots, so to speak, and the thoughts and attitudes of my heart were not in line with the Lord. Thinking back in reference to a Bible study I've been working on throughout week, I was challenged to see how my heart had been deceived.

First, I had allowed myself to believe that I was doing this on my own.

Deuteronomy 31:8
The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.

Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.


Second, I had the mindset that I was entitled to an easy life; a life without sickness, pain, or suffering (demonstrated in my oh-so-mature assertion that, "This just isn't FAIR!").

John 16:33
I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

I confess, I needed to have a major heart-to-heart with the Lord, laying before Him my selfishness, my pride, and my faulty behavior. It can be a tough (not to mention, a most UN-pretty) thing to take an honest look at myself, but praise God, He is full of mercy and grace and His loving arms are always open wide.

1 John 1:8-10
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.


Confession IS good for the soul.

Psalm 51:9-11
Hide your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquity.
Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Thanks for sharing your honest struggles, my friend. My heart went out to you on Wednesday night...I was praying for you! Oh, how keeping our hearts free from deceit CAN be such a struggle sometimes, can't it?

I too am so thankful for the grace, forgiveness, and mercy of our God...and for "second chances" to change MY attitude when it is not-so-great!!

Love ya!

1 Corinthians 15:57, "But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Heather said...

Oh how I can relate to those feelings of life not being fair!!

Thank you for sharing your feelings and how God's working in your heart. What an encouraging post!

Anonymous said...

I totally understand how tough it is to be the 'caregiver' and feel so alone in that task, you feel like no one is on your side. Even now with recovering from knee replacement I find I am impatient with how slow it goes somedays, I want 'instant' recovery with no work on my part.

You should talk to Jen as she went through 4 years of being the Caregiver for Christopher. she has the comfort that she did everything possible for him and he was a very happy boy and totally thankful for all she and everyone else who helped did.

Sometimes it helps to have a good cry and then go to God in prayer for strength, I do that a lot!

Take care of yourself, you are loved!