OK. So Jason and I don't "get out" much. At our house, a "date" usually refers to a day on the calendar, rather than a romantic getaway! But this weekend, we were graced with the gift of a date...my mom was visiting and offered to watch the kiddos while just the two of us went out for a little Valentine's dinner (THANK YOU AGAIN, MOM!!!).
It was SO nice to head out of the house with no kids in tow, linger over a delicious meal, and engage in uninterrupted conversation! We had an enjoyable evening...and, as we so often do on these rare occasions of having a date, we asked ourselves, "Why don't we do this more often?"
I guess three babies in three-and-a-half years CAN put a kink in one's social calendar (and it did!)...but, the kids are older now and leaving them for an evening is not such an ordeal as it used to be!
True, true...the combined salaries of a high-school teacher and a stay-at-home mom don't amount to a ton of "discretionary income" (for those of you math majors, that "combination" really just adds up to ONE salary!)...but I think we all know that dates don't NEED to cost a lot of money (or, I suppose, ANY money, for that matter!), either.
When I think of having a date with my hubby...yes, time AWAY is nice - in fact, it's wonderful - and it's very necessary...but, really, for me, it's about spending TIME with him. How I need to work at being more intentional and initiating that time to spend together! Ultimately, I long for us to draw closer to each other - and more importantly, closer to God. I am challenged by author Gary Thomas [Sacred Marriage] who asks,
"Are you a God-centered spouse, or a spouse-centered spouse? Since God is always worthy to be revered, we are always called to holiness; we are always called to love. A God-centered spouse feels more motivated by his or her commitment to God than by whatever response a spouse may give."
How do you keep your marriage God-centered? What joys, trials, biblical insights, or exhortations might you have to share? I would love to hear from you...
Oh, as I was mentioning earlier about our date...we had a lovely dinner! And the movie? We got back home in time to catch a little bit of they kids new favorite - Clifford's Really Big Movie! :-)
Monday, February 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I am so glad that you guys had a wonderful date on Saturday...yes, we so DO need good, quality TIME to spend together as husband and wife!!! In order to stay connected and stay "on the same page" we so need to have time to communicate and just hang out together! And, I know how "hard" that can be some times in the midst of busy schedules/young kids!!
Like I have said before, know that we are always here and would LOVE to have the kiddos if you guys want a "night out" (or an over-nighter too!)...all we ask for is a small portion of your stay-at-home-mom salary!!! ha ha ha :-)
Isn't it great to just get out with our hubby's once in a GREAT while? It doesn't happen to often at our house either, as our home consists of pilot salary and stay at home mom salary = 1 salary, so yes a night out is like winning the lottery around here!!! I am so glad that you guys got out alone. . doesn't it just do wonders for our marriages and it just makes us stay at home moms feel so good just to be taken out once in awhile.. . at least I know I just come home refreshed!!
How nice that you guys got to actually go out for Valentine's day!
I found myself really having to think about your question, how awful is that? But I would say one of the best things I've learned is that when I pray for my husband I thank the Lord for him, just the way he is along with my house, my children, my everything...just the way it is! Without changing anything, especially in a world where we're taught discontentment.
I had a wonderful time alone with the three grandkids and just glad they did not wake up during the night and regurgitate all the sweets I let them have during the day.
Love you!
Mom
Post a Comment