Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oh Me of Little Faith

Why do I so easily fall into faithlessness?

I've been thinking a lot this week about a book I read not too long ago - Authentic Faith by Gary Thomas (I heartily recommend it, by the way!).

In it, Gary writes about the "spiritual infatuation" phase when a believer's life is "still mostly taken up with how they're doing with regard to defeating sins, as well as cultivating the new joy and spiritual depth that come from walking with God. They're thrilled with what Christianity has done for them.
Eventually, God asks us to discard this infatuation and move on to a mature friendship with him....That means, first, being "fire-tested" and, second, growing in ways that we naturally wouldn't be inclined to grow. This growth can be painful for us, but it's a growth that is necessary if we are to become the type of women and men whom God can use. Instead of focusing on our desire for God to answer our prayers, spiritual maturity leads us to yearn for faithfulness, Chirstlikeness, and others-centeredness."

He goes on to warn about "disillusionment" - "Whereas before [a believer] thought of God as only kind, only merciful, and only loving, they now tend to view him as stubborn, severe, and unyielding...There's a place for this disillusionment, provided it effects the sea change that leads to mature friendship with God. If disillusionment remains, however, it ceases to motivate and eventually may bury the believer under its despair."

I have felt the weight of this despair, at times...in my human weakness, I have experienced times of disillusionment. And I cry out, as the apostles did in Luke 17:5, "Lord, increase my faith!"

I can identify with the psalmist in Psalm 30:8-10
To you, O LORD, I called;
to the Lord I cried for mercy:
"What gain is there in my destruction,
in my going down into the pit?
Will the dust praise you?
Will it proclaim your faithfulness?
Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me;
O LORD, be my help."

God is SO faithful - even when I am SO lacking in faith!

Luke 12:27-29 says, "Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it."

To my amazement and deep gratitude, He has chosen to take something in our lives that was, to a degree, quite devastating for us, and has turned it into something good. When Jason's car was totaled, we were faced with the emotional, mental, and financial strain of trying to find a replacement car for him. In the meantime, his parents have generously offered us their car, as they were in the market for a newer one. What a blessing - thank you, so much! We are now, in turn, able to use the insurance money from the car to pay for some of our home renovations!

God may not always choose to "reward" us in earthly terms - but our true reward awaits us...

"Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven..." Matthew 5:12

And He always has our greater good in mind!

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

May you be encouraged and gently reminded, as I was this week, of our God's GREAT faithfulness, His undying love, and His never-ending presence in our lives.

Psalm 36:5-6
Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the skies.
Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains,
your justice like the great deep.

One more thing...I was reminded of a song from one of my very favorite albums, Along the Road (1994), by Susan Ashton, Margaret Becker, and Christine Dente. The song is called Oh Me of Little Faith

There's been a whole lot of rain comin' down around me lately
In fact it's more like a hurricane
And I've been lettin' it shake me
I've been turnin' and tossin' my sleep all away

But wait one minute,
Where's my faith been lately?

Oh me, oh me of little faith
God never ever went away
Ain't no amount of worry gonna make things change
Oh me, oh me of little faith

Got no reason in the world to doubt
God will take care of me
In fact He's proven time and time again
How much he loves me

I'm not talkin' bout maybe and I don't mean He might
So why do I worry, forget sometimes He's with me

Oh me, oh me of little faith
God never ever went away
Ain't no amount of worry gonna make things change
Oh me, oh me of little faith

If a little bit of faith is all it really takes
I'll be all right, for heaven's sake

Oh me, oh me of little faith
God never ever went away
Ain't no amount of worry gonna make things change
Oh me, oh me of little faith

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Great post and a great reminder and encouragement of God's faithfulness to us always! I too have seen His faithfulness in my life even when my faith falls so short...

My heart still is rejoicing over the neat ways that He took care of you guys with this car situation. What a blessing to be able to use this car money as a bonus for other things!!! I am so thankful for that, my friend - oh how I have been praying for you!!!

Thanks again for sharing your journey through all of this...love ya!

Anonymous said...

It has been a very trying time for us this week with Jon's mom being so ill, and now this evening she has been taken from us, but we know she will be watching over us from above! The funeral will be on Friday.

We love you guys so very much and were happy we could give you a vehicle when you needed one.

Parents are supposed to be there to help our kids....no matter how grown up they are!

Love ya,